The Ritz-Carlton Lodge, Reynolds Plantation – Greensboro, Georgia
- The AAA Five Diamond resort is so lux that country music star Carrie Underwood got married there. The Ritz-Carlton is located on 30 acres along the shore of Lake Oconee, 75 miles from Atlanta, and features access to 99 holes of championship golf.
- A multimillion-dollar renovation is expected to be complete in March, with enhancements to 15,000 sq. ft. of meeting space and the 27,000-square-foot spa, and expansion of the outdoor pool deck. Upgrades to all 251 guest rooms, cottages and Presidential House took place in 2013 and 2014.
The Mayflower Hotel, Autograph Collection – Washington, DC
- The historic Mayflower, which dates to 1925, is known as Washington, D.C.’s “Second Best Address” after 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. That description was coined by President Harry Truman during his stay while the White House was under renovation.
- The Grand Dame of D.C. is undergoing a $20 million renovation of its 583 guests and 74 suites. There will be new wallpaper reflecting the hotel’s guest book, with artistic versions of signatures from President John F. Kennedy, Amelia Earhart, Charles Lindbergh and J. Edgar Hoover.
Newport Marriott – Rhode Island
- Newport has long been a high-society playground, with the Vanderbilts and the Kennedys among the powerful people who have vacationed there. Just in time for the around-the-world Volvo Ocean Race that will stop in Newport in May, the Marriott expects to complete a $35 million renovation to help greet the fleet of international sailors in style. Newport is considered by many to be the sailing capital of the world.
- A new restaurant and two bars offer panoramic harbor views, while the registration desk emulates an abstract boat hull. The 320 guest rooms and suites are also being renovated, as well as midsized meeting rooms on the second floor. The property offers 24,800 sq. ft. of meeting space.
- “Our design celebrates Newport’s irrepressible spirit, and encourages guests to open their senses to the Newport Marriott in fresh and unexpected ways,” says Malcolm Berg, owner of Florida-based Edge of Architecture EoA, Inc.