Every season, Tripadvisor conducts a survey of its users to learn about the latest travel trends domestically and internationally. The pent-up demand for travel has outweighed rising temperatures and inflation, setting up this fall for continued leisure travel. Labor Day weekend will be the most popular period for American travelers, Tripadvisor predicts. Meeting planners, take notes—today’s biggest leisure trends can be tomorrow’s hottest business destinations.
Domestic Travel Is In
This strong desire to travel isn’t deterred by rising prices, but where Americans travel definitely is. Tripadvisor reported that 66% of Americans ranked cost and affordability as their top criteria when creating a travel plan. A third will likely travel for shorter periods of time due to price increases, while 24% will likely travel closer to home than previously planned.
Even so, many are choosing destinations on either coast, driving 40% to plan on traveling more than seven hours. Long-haul flights are back and are taking Americans to these top 20 domestic destinations:
- Las Vegas
- New York City
- Lahaina, Hawaii
- Key West, Florida
- Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
- New Orleans
- Miami Beach, Florida
Read More: New Developments in Las Vegas
Though 81% of Americans are opting for domestic travel this fall, there are still plenty that plan on venturing abroad. Several factors influence a traveler’s decision when picking a destination. The top incentives are currently food (54%), activities (52%), people and scenery (48%) and weather (40%).
Tripadvisor compiled a list of the top 15 international destinations that Americans are visiting this fall, along with a recommended restaurant and local activity for each. If you need incentive ideas, this list has you covered.
- Turks & Caicos: White sand, clear water and lavish resorts cover these Caribbean islands. Try Beach Club for Italian food and cocktails and a four-hour Catamaran snorkeling tour to take in the sights.
- Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam: This sprawling metropolis is right on the Saigon River. The Lounge at Sheraton Saigon Hotel & Towers serves international cuisine and afternoon tea. Adventurous types can go on a guided tour of the underground Cu Chi Tunnels.
- Singapore, Singapore: Elaborate modern architecture soars above this city-state, with English as one of its official languages. Michelin-starred Jade at The Fullerton Singapore offers authentic Chinese cuisine in an elegant setting. To take in the whole city on an intimate level, groups can embark on a Lion City Bike Tour.
- London, United Kingdom: London is a hub for international culture, architecture and more. Bonoo Restaurant has a unique take on Indian food with its tapas-style servings. Thrill seekers will be satisfied with a high-speed cruise down the River Thames.
- Bangkok, Thailand: This modern city on the Chao Phraya River is bursting with Thai charm and local delicacies. Luxurious local seafood can be found in Sirimahannop’s indoor restaurant and open-air deck. For a curated culinary experience, an eight-person Bangkok Food Tour takes guests to every corner of Thai cuisine.
- Boracay, Philippines: The small island hosts pristine beaches and lush palm trees for international visitors. Wave Bar & Lounge at Henann Regency Resort & Spa is loved for its pork sisig. A Boracay Sunset Cruise can take you around the scenic island to swim and snorkel.
- Munich, Germany: Travelers looking for old-world charm and stunning views can find them in Munich. Michelin-starred Little London Bar & Grill has a premium selection of barbecue, seafood and drinks. Groups that want to engage in the Oktoberfest celebrations can reserve seats in a tent, get a tour of the festival grounds and indulge in the food and beer included with the reservation.
- Como, Italy: This idyllic village dotted with colorful buildings sits on the shore of a lake by the same name. Stop in Piazza Roma Ristorante Como for Northern Italian seafood and wine. Those willing to make the short trip to Milan can take the Best of Lake Como Experience cruise to get a full tour of the area.
- Edinburgh, United Kingdom: The bright Scottish city is surrounded by rolling hills topped with medieval castles. Traditional Scottish food can be found in Makars Gourmet Mash Bar with a menu full of meat, meat and more meat. Taking the Edinburgh Hop-On Hop-Off Tour Bus takes travelers to the biggest sites and allows for a flexible schedule.
- Monterosso al Mare, Italy: The largest of the five villages of Cinque Terre, Monterosso is set between a green hill and a beach. Fresh Mediterranean seafood can be found at Gastronomia San Martino. The Sunset Cinque Terre Boat Tour takes travelers around the group of coastal villages in a traditional Ligurian boat.
- Amsterdam, The Netherlands: Good food, friendly people and high-energy nightlife lie between the canals of Amsterdam. Michelin-starred Restaurant Bougainville serves a carefully curated menu from a dining room overlooking the city. Travelers can take a trip around the city in an Amsterdam Canal Cruise in a vintage-styled river boat.
- Amalfi, Italy: Between the mountains of Southern Italy and the Tyrrhenian Sea, Amalfi is full of pale-colored buildings and elaborate churches. Sample the Mediterranean Diet at Baglio Amalfi Italian Bistro. Groups of up to six can take an Amalfi Coast Private Boat Tour of the area’s many cliffs, coves and beaches.
- Dublin, Ireland: Rows of brick houses combine with modern flair on either side of the River Liffey. A wide range of seafood delicacies are served at SOLE Seafood and Grill, including imposing seafood towers. Let a professional driver take the wheel through the winding roads at the Cliffs of Moher.
- Sorrento, Italy: Also on the Amalfi Coast, Sorrento is held up by arched stone walkways that lead down to the beach. Southern Italian seafood can be found at Trattoria dei Mori. Those excited about local foods can join in on a Sorrento Farm and Food Experience, where guests can sample lemonade, olive oil, jam, Limoncello and more at a family farm.
- Vancouver, Canada: This city on the water is a massive cultural and tourism center in Canada. Five Sails Restaurant within Canada place Convention Centre specializes in elevated West Coast fare surrounded by views of the bay. Travelers that want to see a unique side of Vancouver can take A Wok Around Chinatown to experience the culinary variety of the neighborhood.